(I originally wanted this story to be only one post, but that will be impossible because of all of the pictures. So I am splitting this story up into three parts. Also, for the sake of accuracy, please note that this series of posts was written on September 8, 2011. I back-dated them only because I will know where to look for them in the future. As such, note that all pictures were taken in the time period between April 27th-August 20011, meaning that, in reality, many of these pictures were taken months after the “published” date of this post.)
The Tuscaloosa Tornado, 2011, Part 1 of 3 (click to read)
The next several days are a blur. I know we worked, helped our friends move out of their destroyed house, shuttled supplies to the drop off station, and basically did anything we could find to do to help out. Our power was out for an entire week. It was overwhelming and surreal to see that level of destruction up close. It was several days until the road to Alberta City opened up (the road I usually take to go home). Until I drove that route, I didn’t realize how devastated the area truly was. The entire town was leveled and you could (and still can) see destruction for miles in the distance. Thankfully, none of our friends or coworkers were seriously injured by the storm.
There are a lot of emotions that come with disaster like this, and we have felt most of them, even if not as deeply as those who were directly impacted. I definitely do not want to disrespect anyone who lost family, friends, or possessions in the storm by comparing our experience (indirectly affected) to theirs. However, that is not to say that we haven’t been emotionally affected. In fact, it is surprising to me how deeply I have grieved for this town that is not even our “true home” – after all, we have only been here for 5 years. One of the strongest emotions that I have felt throughout the past four months is not sadness or grief or anxiety, but homesick-ness. Not homesick for Athens, Tennessee, but homesick for Tuscaloosa. It is the strangest feeling and one that I am really unable to describe. I can’t tell you how odd it feels to drive the streets of your town and not be able to tell where you are.
And now, four months later, Tuscaloosa is way into the rebuilding stage. Obama came down to see the devastation, Toomer’s for Tuscaloosa was born, volunteers from all over the country literally flooded the city, and several musicians have provided benefit concerts (including Bama Rising), among many many other inspiring and awesome stories. It has been impressive and encouraging to see that the spirit of Tuscaloosa has only grown stronger through this disaster.
This photo was taken from the 7th floor lobby at the hospital. You can see the devastated areas to the right. When I got out of the elevator, there was a crowd of people just standing in silence in front of the windows. Some with cameras, others just watching. It felt just like going to view the body at a funeral.
The photos below are of a very nice neighborhood in town a few days after the storm:
McFarland Blvd:
Above is the Hobby Lobby shopping center that was totally destroyed. Big Lots (next to Hobby Lobby) was only a pile of rubble.
Alberta City:
I’m telling you, the first time I drove home through Alberta City I was shocked. I have never seen anything like it first-hand. I can assure you that my pictures do not do it justice. Total devastation. Although the town is making progress, it still has a long way to go. Some areas still look relatively untouched since the storm.
The Tuscaloosa Tornado, Part 3 of 3 (click to read)
No comments:
Post a Comment