Sunday, October 28, 2012

Recipe Files: Banana Pancake

I’ve always been a big fan of pancakes, but I’ve always hated the way that a big stack of pancakes + syrup for breakfast makes me feel the entire rest of the day – hungry, sleepy and just generally lethargic.  Plus, I’ve never really been good at making pancakes in the skillet at home, and Brent doesn’t really like them anyway, so it is not a food that we routinely eat.

All that has changed now.

IMG_3930

Several months ago, I was searching the internet for healthy breakfast ideas when I came across a recipe for a two ingredient pancake.  When I read the two ingredients,  I was a bit horrified. I thought it sounded disgusting and somewhat pathetic and I felt sorry for the person who published the recipe, assuming that she must have been on a diet for so long that she had lost the taste for real food.

Then one night last week I was craving something sweet for dessert.  For some reason that pancake recipe popped into my head and I decided to just try it.  The recipe is actually not really a recipe. The two ingredients are: 1 egg + 1 medium banana.  Mash the banana, add the egg, and stir until you have a batter of sorts.  Pour it into a hot, oiled skillet and let it cook like a traditional pancake.

Yes, I know it sounds nasty!  I know! Just the idea is probably making you want to binge right now.  But I’m not kidding, it is really good and it makes a large, beautiful, thick, fluffy pancake.  I made it for Brent the other night and he loved it also.

Instead of topping with maple syrup and getting the traditional sugar crash (and since it is already sweet because of the banana), I top with 1 tablespoon of peanut butter (spread it out on the hot pancake and let it melt into a frosting-like topping); a few almonds, chopped; maybe a teaspoon of chia seeds; and a small handful (~two tablespoons) of cereal flakes for crunch (granola would be better, but it is banished from the house due to the calorie density + my inability to control portion sizes).  You could really top it with anything…syrup, coconut butter, jelly, apple butter, shredded coconut, chocolate chips, fruit, etc, etc.

Unlike a traditional pancake, this is actually very filling and satisfying…in fact, one night last week when Brent was out riding and I was home alone, I ate a pancake as my supper and went to bed full and happy!  I am already planning to have it for breakfast tomorrow morning also!

IMG_3929

This has already become a staple and one of my favorite go-to snacks.

No comments: