Friday, December 31, 2010

Scenic Snowy Drive

A few days after Christmas, I managed to peel myself off the leather couch and away from my Kindle long enough to accompany Daddy on a drive to Bald River Falls in Tellico.  My goal over the Christmas holiday was to NOT change out of pajamas or pajama-like clothing the entire time I was there, so this activity was consistent with those goals.  Plus I’m always up for any opportunity to take an excessive amount of pictures.

713

Especially of myself.  I don’t mind saying that this is self-portraiture at its finest.  (I’m not sure if “portraiture” is a word, but spell check isn’t catching it!)  Note that the best self-portraits are those that do not look like self portraits.  In this photo, I have managed to capture myself in the passenger’s seat as if the driver of the vehicle took the photo.  See, totally sly.  (Never mind the fact that the driver of the vehicle was supervising the clean-up of a traffic accident at the time and was actually not in the vehicle.)  The key is making absolutely sure your outstretched arm is not visible in the self portrait and that the photo is not large enough for anyone to easily detect your outstretched arm in the reflection of your sunglasses. Also, practice makes perfect.

Moving on.

542567569

543568573596

601615616

619626642644646

652653651

Daddy actually said something really funny as we were driving through, frantically taking pictures every square foot.  The conversation went like this:

Daddy: I don’t know why I take so many pictures.

Me: Chances are, the more pictures you take, the more likely you are to get a really good one.

Daddy: Chances are, no one will ever even look at them.

Ha! 

But that seriously is the rule I live (and take pictures) by.  If you increase the number of pictures you take, you increase the odds that you will get a good one.  I would say for every 250 pictures I take, I get about 2-3 that I really like.

655669683686

689708712

716

Compare this self-portrait to the earlier one.  See, even though you can’t see my outstretched arm, you know this is a self portrait because of the angle.  NO one could easily take a photo of me in a truck from that angle – except for me!

730729

And then, the highlight of the trip….THE BEACH!!!  Woo hoo!  This place has the best “slawdawgs” (i.e., hotdogs with slaw) in East Tennessee, possibly in the whole country.  Everything is good here, especially the milkshakes, which we didn’t get since it was so cold. Love the beach!  This is also the site of perhaps the funniest practical joke I have ever initiated in my life.  It involved two misspelled text messages from Daddy’s phone, an embellished sighting of one of Kourtney’s ex-boyfriends, a serendipitous pix message from Daddy, and a hilarious text from her that simply stated “I want to die.”  I’m still laughing about it to this day.  Brent says I can pull a good joke when I try because no one ever knows if I’m joking or not….I guess being a straight, serious, wet blanket most of the time pays off occasionally.

No comments: