When your post-op instructions are basically mandatory laziness (in other words, laying down the majority of the day, no lifting, bending, twisting & no sitting/standing for longer than 30 minutes at a time), you just know you are going to be watching a lot (a lot!) of movies (and possibly writing a lot on the blog). Which is exactly what we have done. Below is a list of movies we have seen since I came home from the hospital, with a few brief comments.
Week 1:
The Lincoln Lawyer: This was good, but due to the pain medication and my inborn inattentiveness, I missed some parts that were pretty crucial. I got the main story line, though, which was really interesting, and under other circumstances this movie would definitely have held my attention.
Limitless: Loved it. Easy to watch – easy on the eyes and easy on the mind. Ha! I usually like movies that have a woman as a main character (this one really doesn’t), but it still held my interest. Brent and I both like Bradley Cooper & think this movie is one of his best. It kept us interested and left us guessing up until the end. Really smart movie and actually so good that when the disc tore up in the last scene (darn Redbox…happens constantly), Brent went back to the Redbox at Winn Dixie and got another copy so we could finish it.
The Rite: This is a good movie about an exorcist in training (based on actual events) with Anthony Hopkins. Creepy but enjoyable. I honestly don’t remember that much. Thanks, Tylox.
Something Borrowed: Cute, entertaining movie. I like Ginnifer Goodwin, Kate Hudson, & John Krazinski – although Kate Hudson & “Jim” are is always playing the same basic character. Anyway, the only thing I didn’t really like about this movie is who the main character ends up with, which is sort of the main story line. I saw it going in a different direction entirely. Also, at the end it gets a little too crazy/unbelievable.
Ghost of Girlfriends Past: This one is about a guy who dates & sleeps around constantly and refuses to get into a serious relationship. I liked it okay considering the circumstances (captive audience, ha!), but actually I got to the last scene and realized that I had watched the end of it before and had thought “Well, that wasn’t that good; I’ll probably never watch the whole thing.” Ha! It was silly & easy to watch though. I always like Jennifer Garner.
The Caller: I watched this movie by myself (4 times, no big deal) and have to say that it is the best scary movie that I have seen in a long time. I love ghost stories and I usually even like ghost stories that get bad reviews (The Skeleton Key was one of my favorites). The first time I watched it, I actually didn’t think it was that great and thought there were tons of holes in the plot. Then I watched it three more times and realized that I just didn’t understand it, because I picked up some really important things each time I watched it. The fourth time, I finally understood it and it made sense to me and it was really good and really scary (although there is some bad acting at times). It got terrible reviews, and I think this is why….it is just hard to get the first time. But it has some super creepy, ominous, nightmare-ish scenes, and really, any movie that can make an old woman scary is truly a horror movie. I loved it!
The Company Men: Good movie about three men who lost their jobs during the government bail-out period. Really good, actually, although Ben Affleck’s character was totally obnoxious (Are people really like that?!). I’m not sure if people really live that far beyond their means (living like millionaires on only $160k per year), but this movie is good at showing how disastrous a job loss is when a family is in that situation.
The Conspirator: This is a movie about the trial of Mary Surratt, the lone woman who was tried as a conspirator in the assassination of Abraham Lincoln. I had never heard this story before and it was truly fascinating, although wikipedia tells me that the true story went a little different from this movie. Regardless, I loved it! Basically I love anything historical. It really made me think about how lucky we are to have the law and to have the right to a trial prior to being convicted. It also made me reconsider my beliefs/feelings about public defenders in a more favorable light.
Ghost Town: We saw the description for this movie on redbox.com and couldn’t believe we had never seen it….Ricky Gervais is probably our favorite male comedian & Kristen Wiig is probably our favorite female comedian…plus Tea Leoni & Greg Kinnear….how could we have missed this one?! Well, actually, we didn’t. Ten minutes into the movie we realized that we had watched it before. It was still funny the second time around.
All Good Things: This is a dark movie based on actual events about a real family who owns lots of real estate in New York. Apparently one of the sons, who was possibly mentally ill & watched his mother commit suicide, has been suspected of several murders, including his young wife, Katie. Her body has actually never been found & he has never confessed to killing her. The wife (played by Kirsten Dunst) is the main character in this movie and is so easy to love….she was a young, beautiful, sweet, happy, pre-med student from an average, middle class family. This happened in the 80’s and her case has never been solved, although the movie would lead you to believe that it was definitely the husband. So sad.
The Dilemma: This movie is about a guy who sees his best friend’s wife cheating on him & doesn’t know whether or not to tell him. Love Vince Vaughn! At the beginning, I think we were both thinking “of course he should tell!” but as the story unfolds, the dilemma becomes bigger & bigger & more & more understandable. Also, Winona Ryder is so good at playing a character that you love to hate.
Hall Pass: I hated the idea of this movie (men given a one-week “break” from marriage to do whatever they want), but it turns out pretty good, actually. There are some crass scenes, but overall, the concept is not as bad as I originally thought and I like the ending. It is overall marriage-affirming, which I appreciate. At the beginning, the husbands are really annoying, pathetic, immature guys who think they are missing out on so much by being married. I hate when married men are depicted that way in the movies, but they make up for it in the end. I’m so glad that: #1 I’m not dating anymore & #2: Brent never acts like that!
No comments:
Post a Comment