Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Playing House

Confession: I must say that I have enjoyed my brief role as Brent’s handmaiden/caretaker.  I feel like a real wife.  I think women in general (and me in particular) need to feel needed.  There is just so much satisfaction to be found in taking care of people and things.  I just keep saying: we didn’t think that a knee scope would be this big of a deal, but it has been huge as far as Brent losing his ability to fully function on his own! Yesterday we ventured out and had lunch at Mr. Bill’s, which is the Tuscaloosa equivalent of The Country Patch. It was a major ordeal just getting to and from the restaurant, finding an accessible table, and finding a comfortable seating position for Brent.  The leg needs its own chair at the table, apparently.

The pugs have enjoyed it also:

008 002 018

During this 6-day recovery period, we have watched all kinds of movies, including:

  • Up (very cute!)
  • Up in the Air
  • Sherlock Holmes (really good, surprisingly, and made me miss London)
  • Frailty
  • Ocean’s Eleven, Twelve, and Thirteen
  • The Hurt Locker

While I haven’t been getting up and down and up and down to fetch things and adjust the air and take care of the pugs and make runs to the grocery store, I have cooked, cleaned, organized my books (I am determined to read more/all of my books), and read.  There have been many, many goodies consumed, which is okay because sugar is mandatory for proper surgical recovery (in my opinion).

Today I learned how to use the grill!

012

It is perfect grilling weather, so we had chicken, shrimp, Alexia tater tots, rolls, and corn on the cob.  So good.  I didn’t get a close-up of the chicken, but Brent said it looked “like grilled chicken is supposed to look.”  Whatever that means!  I was pretty proud of it, honestly.  Liquid Smoke is the best food seasoning/condiment ever.

013 

(Grilling weather)

My favorite subjects:

048 001 002 006 012 014 022 047024 028 040 046 

Brent is feeling much better – he is getting more used to maneuvering around with the crutches.  I am so grateful to have been able to stay home with him this week.  I went to work Monday and worried the entire time.

Everyone has been so nice.  We have received so many calls, cards, goodies, and visits.  Brent has such fantastic friends!

No comments: