Thursday, May 20, 2010

Stormy Thursday

When I walked to Brent’s office at 3:30  today, it looked like it was already getting dark.  It started raining around 4 pm and by 5, we had a full-blown severe thunderstorm, complete with lightning, a torrential downpour, hail, and tornado sirens.

View from the front porch.  We had a miniature river in the front yard for a little while.

030 007 008 010   034 

014012 013

After it was over, everything was SO GREEN, so of course I had to try out the new camera.  I changed every setting imaginable and took 177 pictures.  Obviously I have too much time on my hands.

060 036 037 038 041  147 104 108 115 116 121

Oh, and I learned the technical term for the background blur of lights that I love so much in these close-ups: bokeh.  Per Wikipedia: “In photography, bokeh is the blur, or the aesthetic quality of the blur, in out-of-focus areas of an image, or ‘the way the lens renders out-of-focus points of light.’”  There are a ton of technical instructions on how to create this effect and honestly I do not understand them.  I just cannot wrap my mind around aperture, ISO, shutter speed, etc.  Blah blah blah. Whenever I get this effect it is pure accident. 

141 145

I just love the macro capabilities of this camera.  And this is just the basic starter lens on the macro setting.  Just imagine what kind of pictures it could take with a fancy macro lens and an operator who actually knew what she was doing.

I have actually never tried to take a picture of a rainbow before tonight.  I had to edit some of these pictures to get it to show up.073 100 101

I have never seen a rainbow like this before!  It was so bright and looked like it ended right in our neighbor’s yard!  The pictures really do not do it justice.

  092 088

And, as you can see, it was actually a double rainbow.  Clearly it doesn’t take much to fascinate me.

 091  093 094 096 097 098 099 072

 

Weekend Plans:

  • http://www.sunriseballoonrace.org
  • reading
  • purging + preparing for the yardsale
  • The Secret Life of Bees from Netflix
  • entertaining Brent during his last weekend on crutches – woo hoo!

No comments: