Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Labor of Love

002

So, yes, we are overwhelmed with figs this year.  I have been looking for a good fig recipe and when I saw this one for fresh fig bars, I thought it looked perfect.  #1 I am clearly trying to perfect the fruit bar dessert this summer (blueberry & strawberry bars have already been made & were devoured shortly thereafter) and #2 the recipe called for four cups of chopped fresh figs & I thought that sounded like a lot, right?  So I was hoping to put a major dent in my slowly-rotting fig stash.

Well, four cups is not a lot.  Not really. And the recipe also called for 3 cups of oats, 2 cups of flour, 1 cup of honey and 2 sticks (entire sticks!) of butter, among several other ingredients.  Plus you have to boil & reduce the figs & syrup for 90 minutes before you can assemble with the crust and then bake the whole thing.  My gosh, this recipe took hours to make, literally.  By the time I was finished, I was soaked with sweat (Do you think there is something wrong with some one who loves to bake in the summer?  In ALABAMA?) In addition, my feet were hurting and I was exhausted from the mountain of dishes.  These bars were truly a labor of love: for baked goods, for figs, for the process of baking, and for my intended recipients.

BUT it did make a 9x13 pan’s worth of treats and I thought that would be perfect – we could eat some and both have enough to take to work & share.  But then I sliced the first one and found….a hair!  My hair, actually in the bar. Sad smile So much for sharing them! I was so disappointed until I remembered….Kourtney comes this weekend!!! Smile 

Bring your stretchy pants!

011

No comments: