I found Joy of Cooking (1997 edition) at the thrift store on my birthday. Happy Birthday to me.
For a long time I have been wanting to learn how to make bread. In the oven, without a bread machine, just like my grandmother used to do. It just seems too daunting and to be honest, I’m afraid of yeast, which is something I will need to get over if I’m ever going to bake bread, but I’m just not there yet.
Anyway, this cookbook has an entire section devoted to quick breads, which don’t require yeast. I found a recipe for Sweet Wheat Bread (page 773) and it seemed like the perfect way to spend a Saturday morning in July.
This bread contains cinnamon & molasses & smells absolutely wonderful while it is baking. Before I put it in the oven, I sprinkled rolled oats, pumpkin seeds & flax seeds on the top.
It turned out perfect! The exterior is a little bit crunchy, but the interior is like cake. I tasted a warm slice with a tiny bit of butter an it was so very good. This is probably not sandwich bread, but would be great with peanut butter or fruit with breakfast, or crumbled on top of oatmeal. Next time I might try muffins instead.
Overall, a definite success! And today at the grocery store I bought some yeast, so there may be some actual sandwich bread soon!
No comments:
Post a Comment