Tuesday, May 01, 2012

Fremont Street Experience

Another area of Las Vegas that I had never seen before this trip was the infamous Fremont Street. That was the destination in mind when we headed out Tuesday night.  But our first stop was Serendipity 3.

012IMG_1583IMG_1584

You can see what we got into above.  The first picture is a frozen hot chocolate, Serendipity’s signature drink.  I had this dessert at the original location in New York City when I visited in college and wanted to try something new.  So I decided on the cookies & cream sundae (second picture).  It had ice cream, cake, hot fudge, fried oreos and who knows what else.  It looked about the same after I was finished with it as it did when I started.

We ate supper with a friend of ours from Tuscaloosa who was also in Vegas for a conference ( a different conference than the one Brent attended).

IMG_1586

After a fantastic supper, we said goodbye to our friend and headed to the bus stop.  On the way we did lots of sightseeing and picture-taking.

010011008014015016017018021023

IMG_0321

A dog in sunglasses giving me five. We stopped because the dog was just standing straight up on the street dressed like that & we thought it was cute. Then we paid $1 to take that photo. 

IMG_1587IMG_1588IMG_1589IMG_1590025

Fremont Street is certainly spectacular. It is pretty overwhelming – the casinos are lit up, the ceiling dome is lit up, and it is quite noisy due to the casinos, street performers and music videos playing overhead. Tonight it was Jon Bon Jovi!

I really needed to go to the bathroom while I was there, so after unsuccessfully searching for a public restroom and much hesitation, I just (nervously) walked off the street right into one of the hotels, across the casino floor, and headed to their bathroom.  Being the good, rule-abiding girl that I am, I felt bad about using the facilities and not being an actual patron.  So while I was in the ladies’ room, a loud alarm went off! It ended up being a fire alarm, but before we actually knew what it was, my first thought was “Oh no. Oh my gosh.  They have caught me!”  <--- I know, so sad, you can tell I have never done anything remotely wild or scandalous in my entire life.

Anyway, so I raced out of the bathroom, eager to get out of the presumably burning building and safely into the street, and…..nothing.  The alarm was blaring and it was like no one was even hearing it.  Gamblers were going about the games and everyone else was milling around, drinking, talking, laughing, etc.  Just a fire alarm in a crowded Las Vegas casino.  No big deal. 

028029031035037038042043048051053050IMG_1591IMG_1592

There were ALL KINDS of people there.  Legitimate street performers, non-legitimate street performers, people dressed up like celebrities, etc.  We saw an Elvis with no pants, just underwear.  And some one dressed up like Austin Powers came up and said to Brent “Real men don’t wear pink.”  (He was wearing a blue leather suit!!) Are you kidding me?!  Ha ha ha.

We finally saw something we just HAD to do – the zip line!!!  We signed our lives away, buckled in to the harness, and waited in line on a rooftop above the street.  I was terrified.  I was so afraid that I would hurt my back!

IMG_1593\IMG_0326IMG_1594IMG_1596IMG_1598

While we were waiting we noticed the Heart Attack Grill.  Anyone over 350 lbs gets to eat there free.  No thanks!

IMG_1599IMG_1601IMG_1602IMG_0329IMG_0331

Despite my terror, we didn’t die and the stop at the end wasn’t traumatic (I envisioned a padded wall and them just letting us slam into it – I’m not sure why I didn’t ask about stopping before getting up there!).  But there was a catch in the line that slowed us down right at the end, so it wasn’t very jarring at all.  I will say that the professional pictures they took of me were absolutely HORRIBLE.  The ones of Brent were good, but in all of the ones of me I look absolutely terrified.

After the zip line, we were all partied out so we headed back to the bus stop and back to Caesars.  It was definitely something to see, but I’m pretty sure it might have been my first and last Fremont Street Experience!

No comments: