When Daddy suggested the we hike Mount LeConte on the Sunday that I would be in town, I quickly agreed. First, because that is something I have always wanted to do. Second, I didn’t honestly think he meant actually hike all the way to the top. I thought we would do a side trail just to try it out (like a short, easy hike at the Grand Canyon instead of hiking all the way to the bottom of the Grand Canyon). However, I found out the day before the hike that Daddy was planning on us actually hiking all the way to the top of the mountain, that he had actually been training for this hike, and that it was going to be over 100 degrees in Gatlinburg on the day of the hike. Yikes! But he did say that we could turn around any time, so I thought it sounded like a pretty good deal.
We chose the Alum Cave trail, the shortest, steepest trail to the top. It is 5.5 miles to the top (11 miles round-trip) with an elevation gain of >2700 feet. Per the internet, this trail is considered a “strenuous” hike. Honestly, I thought we would make it to Alum Cave (a little less than halfway), be exhausted, and turn around.
We got started at about 8:45 a.m. The hike to Alum Cave was broken up into two parts: parking lot –> Arch Rock, then Arch Rock –> Alum Cave. The first part of the trail led us through the woods at a slight elevation, alongside a mountain stream. It was very much like what I expect when I think of a hike.
It was hot & humid in the woods, but nowhere near as miserable as I was expecting. In fact, some of the shady areas were quite cool. We didn’t have to deal with 100+ degree temps on Mount LeConte, which was a nice surprise.
This is Alum Cave. This part of the hike felt like the steepest part to me. We stopped here and ate a snack and drank some water. At this point, I was definitely doubting that I would be able to make it the whole way.
After the brief break, we started back with approximately 2.8 miles to go to reach the top of the mountain. 2.8 miles doesn’t sound like much, but 2.8 miles uphill is no joke. It was right at this time that we passed a couple on their way back down who told us that the last mile was straight uphill and basically looked at us like we they didn’t think we could make it. [I believed them.] I kept wondering when/if Daddy would want to turn around, but he never said anything and actually did not seem to be having any trouble whatsoever.
During this time, we met several people along the trail that were more encouraging than that first couple. One couple had a child that pitched the biggest fit I have ever seen. Another family gave us a map. We saw a few people who made me believe: “if they can do it, so can I!” At this time I also started drinking some of the frozen/halfway thawed flavored water drinks that Daddy had. It made such a huge difference!
One of the best parts about the trail is that it is interesting. Yes, the incline is difficult, but there is enough variety that it doesn’t get boring. The worst parts of the trail were the lack of signage & the lack of places to sit down & rest.
[Oh, and if anyone ever tells you that the trail “levels out” before you are <0.5 miles from the top, don’t believe them. They are lying. We spent lots of time waiting on the trail to “level out” as promised.]
And then, we made it!!!
There are two short side hikes on top of the mountain – one to a place called Myrtle Point and another to the Cliff Tops. No matter what anyone tells you, the hikes are NOT flat. They are uphill. But the views are worth it. [Although I will say that I did NOT hike all the way to Myrtle Point. Just couldn’t do it.]
Honestly, I didn’t expect the lodge to be quite so “rustic.” There is no running water or electricity in the cabins. The dining hall is very primitive and the lodge was basically a log cabin with a few tables, some games, and some old furniture. I will admit that I expected something a bit more commercial. I’m actually not sure that I would ever really want to spend the night on top of the mountain.
After about an hour or so on the top, we headed back down the mountain. Let me tell you, going down was MUCH, MUCH easier than going up, but it was hard on the knees!
And then, just like that, we crossed the bridge and were back!
I still can’t believe I did it (hiked > 12 miles in one day!) and I can’t believe that I cannot wait to go back and do it again (hopefully with Brent too!). This was the hardest thing that I have ever done – harder than half marathons or anything like that. I’m so glad we didn’t turn around and that we kept going. It was so worth it!
No comments:
Post a Comment