Friday, March 09, 2012

All That’s Good

re 001

Friday night at home….the original trio.

E-meals has taught me something really important about cooking. Critical, even.

065066

To make any main dish taste spectacular, all you need is one of the following:

  • onion
  • garlic
  • butter
  • oil
  • bacon (or bacon grease)

This week we made two oh-my-goodness-this-is-SOOOO-GOOD! meals: corn chowder and fried chicken tenders.

The corn chowder started with bacon in the Dutch oven….it smelled like a dream.  Then, you use the bacon grease to cook the onions and start the soup base.  It was SO good.  Easily one of the best things I have ever made in my life.  Easily.  And the bacon was crumbled on top.

033039038

An daaaaannnnnn…..(said in the voice of the Chinese restaurant drive thru worker on Dude, Where’s My Car?) <- click to watch!

My first time making fried chicken tenders!  They were SO GOOD.  I had the heat up too high on the first batch and burned them to a crisp.  Brent took a big bite and said (with his eyes wide, mouth full and small pieces of charred crumbs on his lips)  “OH MY GOSH!  IF IT IS THIS GOOD BURNED, IT IS GOING TO BE WONDERFUL!!!!!!”  So that encouraged me to endure the constant barrage of grease burns to my wrist/hands and keep going.  And when I finally got the heat just right, they were really good!  I was pleased with myself.  [Clearly my modesty just goes out the window when I cook supper.  But remember – this is the girl who has made us sick with salmon souffle, made biscuits as hard as rocks, tried to serve undercooked pork chops, etc, etc, etc.  In other words, I’m surprised when I can produce something moderately edible.]

And this is what is left over from the ham & cheese croissants that Brent made tonight:

049

WONDERFUL!

022 023

Spring flowers in the backyard

033

007023021

Me & my shadows:

052044047056

New Girl!

Some other (iPhone) pictures from this week:

035040041042043052

The moon, my painted candlesticks, the first azaleas, morning sky, our Grow Alabama box, and Oscar trying to stay awake (I guess The Freeman Blog is just soooo boring).  And these next few pictures need a bit of explanation:

045046048

So, last night I got off at 9 pm and walked to my car.  I have to cross the street to get to the parking lot.  It was dark, but there are streetlights, and security is driving around, and the road is actually pretty busy.  I didn’t cross at the crosswalk, so I had to go out to the median, wait, and then go on across. I was talking to Brent on the phone at the time and a car was coming (a long way away), so I was really, really focused on getting across from the median –> sidewalk.  I made it, stepped up on the sidewalk, and, well, I don’t remember what happened next.  I went down.  Hard.  My iPhone flew out of my hands.  It knocked the breath out of me.  It hurt!!!  I stood up, got the phone, and told Brent I needed to go, then limped to the car.  When I got to the car, I realized I didn’t have my keys, so I had to go back up to where I fell down and look for them….sure enough, they were just laying in the grass about 4 feet from where I wiped out.

I got in the car and turned on the interior light.  I fell down so hard that my left palm was bleeding!  It’s the 2nd photo above (stigmata?!?!).  When I got home, I was really able to assess the damage.  My shirt was ruined (it had this chiffon-like overlay and was ripped to shreds), my [favorite!] black shoes that I wear nearly every single day to work are ruined (the fabric on the toes is shredded, and my knees and the top of my left foot was skinned up (as seen in pics above).

This morning I woke up SO SORE.  I mean, I feel like I worked out BFL-style and then got into a fight (and lost).  My shoulders hurt, my back hurts (not like disc pain, thank goodness!), my knees hurt, my ribs hurt, my neck hurts…everything.  I keep thinking “wow, I really got a workout!” and then I realize that no, I really just fell down on the sidewalk.  Thank goodness it was dark, although I KNOW some one in a car saw me…they drove right past as I went down.  Mostly I just feel old. 

050

But at least I am home and it is the weekend!!!  Yay!

And I would like to leave you with a funny pix message I got from Brent at work last night.  I screen shot of a text “conversation” (if you can call it that) between Mama (in grey) & him (in green).

053

hahahahahahaha!

No comments: