Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Fall in Alabama, 2009

It is so beautiful around here! I love all of the many different colors! I say this at the beginning of every season, but I really mean it now: this is my favorite time of year. Absolutely perfect temperatures and beautiful colors!

026 050 045 013 057 036

This morning I made my very first batch of guacamole! And it was fantastic!

066 068

I looked at several different recipes and I didn’t have all of the ingredients for any one of them, nor do I have a food processor, so I just used the various ingredients I did have. I knew what I wanted it to taste like, anyway. :)

Easy Guacamole

Ingredients:

  1. 1 avocado
  2. 1/2 tsp minced garlic
  3. 1 tbsp salsa (Thelma’s homemade salsa)
  4. chopped green onions – about 1.5 tbsp
  5. sprinkle of cilantro
  6. 1/4 tsp sea salt
  7. 1 tbsp lemon juice

Directions:

  1. Cut the avocado lengthwise, separating the halves.
  2. Remove the pit.
  3. Scoop the flesh out with the spoon into a small mixing bowl; mash with a fork to desired chunkiness.
  4. Mix in all of the other ingredients, stirring well.

The finished product had a very mild taste. It could definitely be kicked up a bit by using spicier salsa, or chilies, or more onions. Next time I might try adding a bit more salsa, but the consistency of the batch today was perfect. I was actually surprised by how much flesh is in an avocado. This made a good-sized bowl of dip – I would say at least 4 servings.

And so, of course, with a nice yummy bowl of guacamole, I had the greatest lunch. I was really craving black beans, but we don’t have any. :( Instead, I made:

070

meatless nachos! Starring a Morningstar Farms Spicy Black Bean Burger!

069

Black Bean Burger Nachos

I began by heating one black bean burger in the oven @ 375F x 16 minutes, flipping halfway through. Beginning with corn chips, I layered the black bean burger + shredded Mexican-style cheese + guacamole + salsa + hummus dip (hummus+salsa). I’m not sure of the exact amounts, usually 1 – 2 spoonfuls.

This was one of the best lunches ever! I forgot how much I love black bean burgers.

071

No comments: