Friday, July 23, 2010

Obsessions + Confessions

There are two things I know for certain:

1.) I am obsessed with fruit this summer:

2.) I am having an identity crisis.

Wednesday, I went to Publix.  My gosh, they have the most beautiful produce I have ever seen.  I must confess that sometimes I buy produce at Publix just because it is pretty and then I have to throw it out because I can’t eat it fast enough, forget about it, or can’t think of anything to do with it.  It is a bad habit that I am working on.

010 

If you will notice, in this picture there is absolutely NO DIET FOOD.  No frozen diet meals, no fatless butter-like substances, no “lite” cookies, chips, ice cream, snack bars and other junk like that.  Instead, you see real butter, Crisco (gasp!), peanut butter, and pork tenderloin. Real food. Life is just too short to waste on tasteless food substitutes.

I also bought a dehydrator this week.  Yes, you can laugh.  It was a cheap-o from Wal-Mart because, let’s be honest here, there is a good chance that it might wind up on the shelf next to the sewing machine in a few short weeks.  But I just didn’t know what to do with all of the figs and I thought I could dry them and make fig newtons, fig jams, fig breads, etc.  Right?  Hmmmm. So, anyway, I boiled the figs last night and then let them dry out in the dehydrator overnight last night + a few hours this morning.  Now they are in the freezer x 48 hours, to prevent insect infestation.  After the 48 hours I can use them or refreeze them or whatever.  Seriously – this is crazy, I know. I don’t even know who I am anymore.

052

Speaking of the freezer, part of the reason I bought so much fruit was so that I could make some freezer jam.  Yes, you can laugh.  Ball canning has come out with some beginner canning equipment this year and I’m kind of fascinated.  We eat Thelma’s canned food all the time – green beans, fruit jam, salsa, etc.  I never really eat jam, but it seems like a good time to start! Ha!  I used the recipe that came with the containers, which was just mashed fruit + sugar + instant fruit pectin and that’s it and you let it sit and gel for 30 minutes, then freeze it.  I used the Vita-Mix to puree the fruit. Confession: I felt like a pioneer woman when I was finished and I liked it.

111

Seriously: who am I?

I was planning on using some of the strawberries to make a strawberry cake for work this weekend.  We like to have cake on Saturdays at work.  It helps soothe the pain of knowing we are stuck inside, in front of a computer, while our spouses, friends & families are out doing fun things like swimming, cooking out, shopping, going to the lake, and all of your typical Saturday activities.

070077  Well, I got the bright idea that I would make a double-layer cake.  I always seem to forget that about 99% of my double-layer cakes turn into trifles (or “truffles” as Brent calls them).  Does anyone actually set out to make a trifle or are they always salvage desserts?

095 100 102

This is layered strawberry cake, strawberry puree (fresh strawberries + sugar + fruit pectin), strawberry slices, and Cool Whip.  It smells SO good and looks really pretty also!  Brent opened the refrigerator and exclaimed: “There’s a truffle in here!”  Gosh, I laughed so hard! I wish you could have heard it.  He was so serious.

And finally:

084 114

Another peach cobbler, per Brent’s request.  Brent’s friend brought us some Chilton Co. peaches the other day – the same day I went to Publix and bought some sweet, gorgeous GA peaches.  By the way, I asked Brent which cobbler he liked best this summer - peach or blueberry.  He said that they both have their strengths, but what he likes about the peach cobbler is that the crust is lighter/cake-y, so he can eat more.  Nice. Portion control?  What’s that?

My workspace:

088

Do you see the base of the dehydrator balanced precariously on top of the crockpot?  Ha! Is this really my kitchen? Besides all of the desserts, I made BBQ stuffed baked potatoes tonight with the pork tenderloin that cooked in the crockpot all day. I use the internet for recipes + Grooveshark, which is the best invention ever.  Tonight’s soundtrack: “Hey, Soul Sister” about 25 times in a row. Clearly I know nothing of moderation.

The kitchen, after:.

104

This is the only downside of cooking/baking.  Thank goodness for dishwashers + a husband gracious enough to provide (free) unsolicited ongoing instruction in dishwasher loading and general operation for the past 7 years.  Maybe one day I’ll get it.

Now I am sitting here, exhausted, with stained fingernails and dried fruit stuck to my arm. I just pulled a strawberry top out of my hair, my shirt is covered with flour, and I am looking at fatigue mats for the kitchen on the internet.  ????

002

Oscar says: “Who are you and what have you done with my Mama?!”

No comments: