Friday, September 21, 2012

Weekend in the Smokies

149

It is a Freeman family tradition that we take a vacation around Brent’s birthday.  Ever since I hiked Mount LeConte in July with Daddy, I have been dying to take Brent back to do it with him.  So we had been planning this trip for months (almost as soon as I got back the last time!).  We were both off on the Friday after his birthday, so we left Thursday after work and drove straight up to Gatlinburg with the plan of going to Cades Cove on Friday and hiking LeConte on Saturday.

We stayed at Park Vista, a very nice hotel away from the strip.  Our view was awesome!!!  Brent did such a good job picking the hotel!

On Friday, we planned to sleep in until 8, but Brent ended up waking up early and waking me up to watch the sun rise over the mountains.  What a nice start to the day!

018019030

Shortly after breakfast, we headed to Cades Cove. Brent brought his bicycle to bike the loop.  We couldn’t have asked for a more beautiful day.  The highlight of the day was when we saw a mama bear and three bear cubs!!!  I was too startled and excited to get the camera out, though!

047052

I hope this is not too blasphemous a thing to say, but I really think that Heaven might look like Cades Cove.  It is just so beautiful. 

062074089094096

After Brent biked and I drove a loop and a half, we decided to take a short “warm-up” hike in the park.  I had read on line about this great hike to Abram’s Falls and how it was easy and perfect for beginners.  It was 5 miles out & back, so we headed out around lunchtime, thinking we would get in a leisurely stroll. Wrong!  It was pretty tough – lots of long, steep inclines.  And since we went in thinking it was going to be super easy, that made the difficult parts that much worse.

100107111115122

127128

But soon enough we were finished and headed back to Gatlinburg to find some lunch….at 3 pm. We were starving! No Way Jose’s to the rescue! [In our defense, as we were leaving the trail, we noticed a sign indicating that the Abram’s Falls hike was actually rated “moderately difficult” by the park.  Whoever said it was beginner-level easy on the internet mislead us just a bit!]

After eating lunch, we got some groceries for the LeConte hike, and then drove back to the hotel.  We couldn’t really think of what we wanted to do and the strip didn’t sound too enticing after all the walking we did at Cades Cove, so we decided to drive back up the mountain road to find the parking lot at the Alum Bluffs trailhead that we would be using the next day.  When we found it, we just kept going, deciding to take a scenic drive.  The sun was setting and it was gorgeous, and we just kept going….to Newfound Gap…and then to Clingman’s Dome.  We talked about just staying at the base, but then we got there and the sun was setting and it was gorgeous, so we decided to do the 1/2 mile walk to the top.

134

Brent took off, but I was a little slower because I had to keep stopping to rest (that 1/2 mile is no joke – it is STEEP!).  It was really cold, too!  About 50 degrees!  We both had jackets (thankfully) but were wearing shorts & short-sleeved shirts underneath.  Anyway, I huffed and puffed my way to the top, but in the end, it was definitely worth it.  This was the most beautiful sunset I have EVER seen.

144148149161162163166167174

[LOVE this guy!! He is becoming such a fantastic photographer!]

182184186

Can you even believe this sunset?!  I have never witnessed anything like it in my life.  When we got back down to the parking lot, the sun had set and the scenery was just so moody.  I could have stood there and just looked at the mountain for hours.

196209210214219221

Finally, we got in the car and headed back to the hotel (with the heater on!).  We pulled off a few more times to take some pictures, but made it back to the hotel in time to take an Epsom salt bath while warming up with some coffee!  Preparing for LeConte!

233

Total miles hiked today: 6!

No comments: