Since there are tons and tons of pictures to choose from, there will have to be at least three posts dedicated to this day! These pictures are from our Canon camera, the camera that Daddy brought, and my iPhone. I’m not exactly sure who took which pictures. Brent took a ton and Daddy also took several. [I do know that some jerks in the parking lot took the first one for us.]
Ready to go! We met at the trailhead at 8 a.m. It was about 60 degrees, as best I can remember (compared to 90-ish degrees when we were here in July, our first time hiking Mount LeConte).
The trail begins alongside beside Alum Cave Creek. The first 2.5 miles to Alum Cave are fairly easy. You are in the woods, the climb is gradual, and there are bridges to walk over, etc. On this day, the wind was blowing and the leaves were falling. It was wonderful! For the record, I’m not sure that the pictures are all in chronological order.
The leaves were already starting to turn in the higher elevations.
Here we are at Alum Cave, almost halfway. It is a good resting spot, but the best (and most difficult) is yet to come! Although I do think that this is the steepest part of the entire trail.
I did so much better than I did last time! So much better! It was probably a combination of factors, including: weight loss, cooler weather, a Camelback, more peer pressure, in better shape, and the knowledge that a Cadbury Screme Egg was waiting for me at the top. With that said, it was still very hard. It was the second hardest thing I have ever done physically (the first hike being the hardest). I got really irritated the last 1.5 miles – just so ready for the steady climb to be over. It is really tough! But then you see this sign and know you know you have made it!!!! The worst is over!
The trail levels off as you walk to the lodge. It is beautiful on top of the mountain!
No comments:
Post a Comment