Friday, April 27, 2012

Red Rock Canyon

As soon as we got to Las Vegas, we hopped in the rental car (WV Jetta) and headed to Red Rock Canyon, about 30 min from the Las Vegas strip.  It was almost sunset and according to my extensive research, this is the best time to visit the park. 

Red Rock Canyon is a 13-mile scenic loop.  One of the most interesting things about it is that the landscape on one side of the loop is so different from the other side.  It is absolutely beautiful and a perfect “introduction” to the desert!

027

I couldn’t get over the landscape.  I’m not sure what I was expecting (sand dunes?), but there is actually a lot of scrubby plants and rock cliffs.  I think the east TN area is gorgeous, but was stunned by how beautiful the desert is also – in a completely different way.

029043064065085086107129136137154170171

The two pictures directly above comprise one large view.  The one on the top is the right and the one below is the left.  It was so serene at this overlook….the desert was completely silent and peaceful.  We noticed this on the very first day, almost as soon as we got there, but the quietness/stillness continued to surprise me for the rest of the trip (especially when I went to Death Valley).  It is an interesting and very welcome change from the noise and overstimulation of the Las Vegas strip.

179182187195202223225231

I just cannot describe how beautiful it is.  And although it looks so strange compared to what we are used to, it is not unfamiliar.  The landscape in the NV/AZ deserts is one that I have seen numerous times on movies, TV shows, and in various photographs.  It was amazing to see it in person.  It really made me feel far from home.

We honestly took over 1,000 photos on this vacation between the photos with the good camera and iPhone photos.  My laptop is telling me that I have NO MORE ROOM on my hard drive at this point. As such, it is going to take me forever to update the blog.  I will try not to post a lot of the boring pictures, but I really can’t make any promises!

No comments: