Monday, April 30, 2012

Goldwell Museum & Rhyolite

There were two more stops on my way back to Las Vegas: Goldwell open air museum and Rhyolite, a ghost town.  Both were located in the same area right outside of Beatty, NV.

335

Goldwell Museum was totally deserted except for me.  The silence and the weird ghost statues were a bit creepy.

337338340343345

I have never been at any public place in my life that was as quiet as Goldwell and Rhyolite.  I could see the highway in the distance, but I could not hear anything.  Just eerie silence.

350352

above: the old schoolhouse and below: the main street

354IMG_1558

The Cook Bank Building – it was 3 stories tall and cost $90,000 to build.

IMG_1562IMG_1560IMG_1563IMG_1564IMG_1565360

The old train depot:

IMG_1542IMG_1544IMG_1546361

IMG_1549IMG_1550IMG_1551IMG_1566IMG_1569

364365

This was the Porter Brothers store.  The angle is weird because I was driving past.

368369377378381388389390393

The cemetery was an interesting experience…and I thought the actual town was creepy!  Totally silent, me trying to keep an eye out for rattlesnakes and other predators.  There was one other group of tourists that were coming in right as I was driving out of the town.  Otherwise I was at Goldwell, the town, and then the cemetery the whole time by myself.

I didn’t take a picture, but when I got back to the car there was a dusty handprint on one of the back windows.  It scared me!  I’m sure that someone must have done it on accident at Death Valley but I just never noticed.  How eerie to see after leaving the cemetery of a ghost town in the middle of the desert!

And then I drove through Beatty and back towards the strip.  On the way I had to take a picture of this:

398

A wild burro!  This was just one.  There was another one running around with him.

So that concludes my awesome day of sightseeing!  On the way back in I saw Big Dune and another ghost town from the road, but didn’t visit.  It is so overwhelming…there is so much to see!  Maybe one day we will go back and spend a longer time.  I was very proud of myself for driving myself around all day…and I made it back to Las Vegas and self-parked at Caesars Palace just fine!

No comments: