Sunday, April 29, 2012

Sunny Desert Sunday

005

(This was the view from our first room at the Flamingo.)

Today Brent’s conference started.  The conference was held at Caesars Palace, so we packed up, loaded the car, and checked out of the Flamingo super early with plans to check into Caesars after he got out of the conference.  (I will say that I didn’t really think this through….I had an entire day to roam about the city alone with no room!)

So I started off here:

IMG_1490IMG_1491

The Stratosphere!  4.68 miles there & back!  Along the way:

IMG_1495IMG_1496

The Sahara casino, now closed.  The sidewalk actually takes you through what was once the front gardens/parking, even though it is boarded up through there, and it was super eerie to be back in there alone.  Well, alone except for the man (living?) in there that asked me if I had any change. It felt a bit scary!  Definitely not the best part of town.

And then….

IMG_1301

IMG_1505IMG_1506

POOL TIME! 

It was actually not that great.  It had the potential, BUT there were too many smokers and otherwise annoying people + the music was entirely too loud. And may back was hurting after the big walk. I only stayed for maybe an hour & a half.

Lunch was an old favorite:

IMG_1507

An lobster roll + fries from the Caesars Palace food court.  I had this exact same meal a few years ago when I came here from a work conference.  It is way too big, but very good! 

And the afternoon was pretty long.  I roamed around town, shopped a little bit and visited a Monet art show in the Bellagio (very good!) where I got a little art tour/lecture.

Finally, FINALLY we got to check into the room at Caesars.  Here was our view!  We got upgraded!

IMG_1509IMG_1511

We attended a work-related dinner this night at a restaurant called Kokomo.  It was WONDERFUL!  We got there a little early and Brent gambled a little at the bar.  He WON 19.75! Ha!

IMG_1517

And after that, we went to see “O,” a Cirque du Soleil show.  The only tickets we could get were for the 10 o’clock (12 midnight our regular/home time) show and unfortunately I was not able to stay awake for the entire show.  How lame.  It was a combination of the time change, 5 mile walk, sunbathing, and wine they served with dinner.  I’m telling you that I could not keep my eyes open for anything!  I fought it SO hard!  I would try to keep one eye open and let the other eye sleep and the open eyelid would just get sooooo heavy!  I nodded off the entire time, waking up after each act, when the audience would applaud (and I would join in).  Brent can do a great impersonation of that.  Anyway, it was the most expensive nap ever.  :(

IMG_1518IMG_1519

The picture above was taken in the theater shortly before all of the napping started and I honestly have no recollection of this picture being taken or of anything that happened after the show!!!

No comments: