Sunday, January 17, 2010

Best BBQ

….and BRENT made it!!!  Yesterday the pork tenderloin cooked all day in the slow cooker.  He picked up the sauce during his bike ride at Robertson’s, a cafeteria-style barbeque place located inside of a convenience store in Ralph, AL.  This little place is so far out of the way that we have only been together once, but the sauce is the best around, hands-down. 

003 001

002

However, this meat didn’t even need sauce!  It was excellent without, thanks to Liquid Smoke, which we have never tried before this recipe, but will definitely use again!

004

Typical BBQ bread: white + very soft. 

Yesterday I got called in to work on my off Saturday (booo!), but it was only for 1/2 day.  I got off at about the same time Brent came back from his ride.  It was such a gloomy day.

Last night I looked through two cookbooks.

005

Saying Grace is a thrift store find (by Mama) and looks like it was made in the 1970’s, but it was actually put together in 2000.  The note on the back says: “This cookbook has been complied by some of us born almost too soon for the “information age” with the aid of computer skills not yet perfected.  Thank you for your patience….”  It was cute, though.  And I did mark several recipes.

009

011

This said: “Imagine: the pages are numbered” (and they were, by hand). “The cookbook almost ready to print.  One last index check.  Horrors!  Several very good recipes have some how been misplaced. What to do?  Print one last section.  They were lost, but now are found.”  Ha!  Love it.  And in this section, I found the following gem:

Peanut Butter Sandwich (by Googie Burnside)

Preparation:

  1. Take 1 1/2 oz. of Scotch. Put in glass.  Add water and ice.
  2. Sip.
  3. Probably needs more Scotch.
  4. Sip.
  5. Locate bread.
  6. Sip.
  7. Thin, normal or thick is desirable.
  8. Sip.
  9. Locate peanut butter.
  10. Sip.
  11. Be sure and use crunchy, not Grumpy.
  12. Sip.
  13. Take knife and spread peanut butter on bread.
  14. Sip.
  15. Cut Scotch diagonally and serve.

Ha!  Gotta love church cookbooks!

The second one I looked at was this year’s Farm Bureau cookbook that Thelma had given us at Christmas.  I also marked several recipes in this one, and actually started French Toast Casserole (it has to refrigerate over night) for breakfast this morning.

013

016

Last night we got groceries in the rain and were talking about how enjoyable this month has been with E-mealz and just cooking at home in general.  We have loved trying all of the new recipes and have gotten so many good ideas.  We haven’t eaten out as much, and I have even lost a few pounds so far – I think it is because the food I’m eating is satisfying (physically and emotionally, in a way, because we are actually cooking it) + filling, so I don’t snack as much.  But this is interesting, because none of the meals we have made have been diet or low fat, even though some have used those ingredients.  Losing weight is one of our new year’s resolutions, so it seems like we are off to a good start!  Yay!

Also, tonight we watched some HILARIOUS You Tube videos – news bloopers, like newscasters that can’t stop laughing and funny things that happen on the show.  We were crying.  Soooo funny.

012

No comments: