Sunday, January 03, 2010

Pancake Sunday & The Great Thaw

I have been thinking about making pancakes for the past few weeks, but  keep putting it off because I have actually never done it before and have always been afraid to try it because it seems like a lot of work.  Unfortunately, I mentioned it to Brent a few days ago and he has since been hounding me about it.  So today I decided to try.

I used the recipe on the back of the Bisquick box, and saw that there was a modification for “Pancakes Supreme.” I decided to go for it.  While measuring out the ingredients I realized that I didn’t have any eggs and that my baking powder was 3 years expired.  Disappointed, but not surprised. This is the story of my life. So, I used ground flax as an egg substitute as follows: 1 tbsp flax + 3 tbsp of water for 1 minute = 1 egg (x2).  And I decided what the heck on the baking powder and used it anyway.  (The seal was still intact at it looked fine.)

011

For the first few several, I had the skillet way too hot and they burned on the outside but were still batter-y on the inside.  I started  thinking a trip to Cracker Barrel was in our future, but then I finally got the temperature right.  I never quite got the flipping part down, so they ended up kind of lopsided and ugly, to be honest.

 013 010 

But they were good enough, or so I thought.  Its hard to tell, because most everything tastes good with syrup on it. Brent kind of hinted around that they weren’t “fluffy” enough.  Maybe it was the flax.  Halfway through I started using butter vs. cooking spray for the skillet, and that made a big difference in taste and appearance.  I definitely need more practice, but not bad for my first time!!!

014

015

It started out as a pretty quiet and ordinary day in the Freeman household.  We found a House marathon and settled in for an afternoon of laziness + putting up Christmas decorations.  Then, I’m not sure exactly how, Brent realized that the things in the freezer were thawing out.  At first I was blamed for leaving the door open and I’m still holding out for an apology but then we realized that the refrigerator was getting warmer also.   We couldn’t get ahold of any repairmen, so we went to Home Depot and bought a small deep freezer for the freezer items and put the refrigerator items outside in a cooler. Definitely the best possible time of the year for this sort of thing to happen, because it is cold!

Tonight we cooked an entire 2 pounds of hamburger patties + an entire bag of Alexia frozen fries + a Stouffer’s lasagna + 2 (mini) chocolate cakes, so we have plenty of food for the next few days!  It’s just crazy that we are washing machine-less AND refrigerator-less for now. 

044

050

Hopefully we can get some one out to look at it ASAP. And hopefully we won’t have to buy a new one.  Good news is that Brent found the warranty and it is still good!

So, overall a semi-stressful Sunday.  I did finally get the Christmas decorations packed up, and I miss them. :(

016 018

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Yum - homemade pancakes are always delicious!! And sorry about the fridge...that totally stinks! But kinda nice to have a whole lot of cooking already done...