I used to run.
In case you don’t believe (and you might not if you didn’t know me then - ha!), I have proof.
Knoxville 5K, 2005:
Love Your Libraries 5K (Knoxville), 2003:
This was actually my first race ever, and it was dark, cold and raining and we almost did not go. I hated it. I started out too fast and got a stitch in my side. I had no concept of pacing. I had no idea how long 3.1 miles actually felt because I had only been running on the treadmill. But then I won second place in my division (very small race) and I was hooked, obviously.
First 1/2 marathon: Country Music 1/2 Marathon, 2005 (from the scrapbook, obviously):
Independence Day Dash (Etowah), 2005:
Before a training run (Birmingham), fall 2005
Mercedes 1/2 Marathon (Birmingham), 2006:
Coming across the finish line……FREEZING!
Actually, I blogged about this!
Others memorable races that I cannot find pictures for at this moment, include:
- Vulcan Run (Birmingham), 2005
- Country Music 1/2 Marathon (Nashville), 2008
- Covenant 1/2 Marathon (Knoxville), 2006
- Jingle Bell Jog (Birmingham), 2005
- Conquer Cancer 8k (Birmingham), 2006
I LOVED running. It got me through my last year of pharmacy school; in fact, I ran the Mercedes 1/2 marathon the day before my residency interview at DCH. I got the “runner’s high” almost every time ran. My favorite place to run was the trail on Lakeshore Drive across from Samford. It is about 5 miles out and a back, flat, shady and perfect. I loved to to be there on Saturday mornings. I clearly remember heading out one Saturday afternoon and on the way, it started raining (not sprinkling, really raining). I went anyway, and there was only one other person out there. It felt GREAT.
Unfortunately, I experienced several frustrating injuries, so it became a love/hate relationship. I ran my first 1/2 marathon on massive blister that I had taped up. I put anti-blister powder in my cotton socks, of course, and ended up with blisters from the chunks of powder that collected in the bottom of my socks. I also developed plantar fasciitis.
And of course I was never very disciplined with training. I never stretched or followed training plans. I just wanted to get out there and run without worrying about all of that. This is one of the major reasons why my hobby came to an end. After running 2 1/2 marathons within about 1 month of each other, I ended up with IT band syndrome. I could barely walk after the second one…..this injury plagued me FOR MONTHS and was very frustrating. As a result, I lost my momentum in spring 2006. Brent did not. In fact, he went on to compete in triathlons and numerous bike races.
I ran the Country Music 1/2 marathon in 2008 without really training, which was obviously not a smart move. But I used the Galloway Method during the race and really didn’t even get that sore. Besides that, I have had many false and inconsistent returns to running that have never stuck.
I can tell a tremendous difference in all aspects of life since I have stopped. First of all, I was in great shape and felt great and was generally more optimistic. I was the smallest I have ever been, and didn’t have to worry about my diet nearly as much. Needless to say, I want to run again. I would love to reach that 1/2 marathon fitness level again the right way and stay injury free. I would love to run more races. The marathon was always the goal, but I stopped before I reached it. It has actually been very hard to start back consistently, because I know what it is like to be able to run for 40+ minutes and it is frustrating to want to do that and not be able to. The baby steps are the hardest part of anything for me….I just want to be there! Plus now I have gained so much weight from my sedentary lifestyle + stress that I am concerned about injuring myself further.
However, today I discovered Marathon Makeover. It is a program in MS that is essentially couch –> marathon in 40 weeks. It can be running, jogging, walking or a combination. Somehow I got on their mailing list and received an email that today was the first day of this year’s program. So I just went to the website to see what it was all about. Come to find out, they offer an online training program as well. Basically, the first 10 weeks are pure walking, just building a fitness base. Then it moves in to training for a 1/2 marathon in June and a marathon in October. From what I can tell, the marathon in October is an open event, but was created for participants in the program.
I signed up for the online program and am very excited. It sounds crazy, but it certainly is not nearly as overwhelming with a final deadline in sight. So, 2010 will be the year that I achieve my goal of running a marathon. I can hardly believe it. I have a loooooong way to go, but I am very excited! I have also decided to document my training on the blog. I think it will be great and very motivating to have a record!
No comments:
Post a Comment