Sunday is the perfect dessert-for-breakfast day. In fact, some of my favorite childhood memories include Sunday morning blueberry muffins+ reading the funny papers with Daddy before church. Food has an interesting way of marking significance; even before I understood the importance of church or the Sabbath, I knew that special breakfasts were for special days. Therefore, Sunday had to be a special day.
French Toast Casserole
Yield: 4-5 servings
(Modified from Country Classics, published by the Tennessee Farm Bureau Women.)
Ingredients:
- 1/2 of a 10 oz. loaf of French bread
- 4 large eggs
- 1.5 c. milk
- 2 t sugar
- ~1/3 t salt
- 1/2 T vanilla
- 1 T butter
- cinnamon
Directions:
- Slice bread 3/4-inch thick and place on bottom of pan.
- Beat eggs and all ingredients [except butter].
- Pour egg mixture over bread.
- Dot with butter.
- Refrigerate overnight.
- The next morning, bake at 350 degrees x 45 minutes.
- Serve drizzled with pancake syrup.
It was good, but not great, unfortunately. Smelled and looked better than it actually tasted. Brent approved, but I didn’t see him go back for seconds! I actually halved the original recipe and if I make it again I will go with fewer eggs (I think the eggs could be halved again) and more sugar (at least double, if not more – 2 tsp?? – I’m not even sure that’s right). Of course, it would probably be better with whole milk instead of skim, also. Maybe I should just make cinnamon toast next time and save myself the trouble!
Lunch was at Newk’s with friends! Great food and great company! Their chicken salad sandwiches are wonderful!
And there may have been some brownies + milk for dessert.
Otherwise, it was a rainy and relaxing day. Ready to start the week and start marathon training!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment