Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Granola That Will Spoil You

Before oatmeal, I never was a big granola eater.  But now, nothing beats the sweet, satisfying crunch of granola in a big creamy bowl of oatmeal.  I have since tried just about every brand + flavor of granola in the supermarket.  Bare Naked is great, as is Nature’s Path Flax Plus with pumpkin seeds.

But this is the best.

233

A friend gave us some homemade granola last fall and we begged for the recipe.  We then adapted it based on our personal preferences.

234

This is like no other. It will spoil you.  Store-bought granola will never, ever taste the same.

Olive Oil Granola With Dried Cranberries & Almonds

(Original: Olive Oil Granola With Dried Apricots & Pistachios)

Yield: about 9 cups

Ingredients:

  • 3 cups old-fashioned oats
  • 1 & 1/2 cup raw almonds
  • 1 cup raw pumpkin seeds
  • 1 cup shredded coconut
  • 3/4 cup pure maple syrup
  • 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
  • 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar (we used Splenda Brown Sugar Blend)
  • 1 tsp kosher salt
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp cardamom
  • 1 cup dried cranberries

Instructions:

1.  Preheat oven to 300 F.

2. Combine all ingredients except the cranberries in a large mixing bowl.

 148 150 157 160 164 165 166 170

3.  Spread granola in an even layer on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake for 45 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes.

188 183

4.  When finished baking, put granola in a large bowl and toss with dried cranberries.  Allow to cool completely before storing.

231

I know adding olive oil may sound strange; most granola recipes I have seen call for vegetable syrup or canola oil. I think the savory, distinctive flavor of the olive oil + the sweetness of the sugar, syrup, and fruit give the granola an interesting flavor. 

I like to eat this granola sprinkled on top of a bowl of oatmeal, but it is best with a bowl of vanilla-flavored Greek yogurt + pear slices.  You can also eat it by the handful as a snack, or with milk like dried cereal.  It just doesn’t matter! Plus, there is plenty to share!

No comments: