Tonight we headed downtown to sign up for tomorrow’s ride. Everyone from the bike club was there and was so excited to see Brent. He has definitely been missed!
After we came home we Brent started preparing for tomorrow. Confession: I really don’t want to do this ride, but I am doing it because:
1. Brent wants me to, and I want him to participate as his first ride after the surgery/blood clot. I want to spend time with him, also.
2. I will be so glad I did it once it is over
3. I think it is good and healthy to occasionally do things you don’t really want to do.
One thing that I don’t like about cycling (about anything really) is the amount of preparation it involves. Brent pointed this character (flaw?) out to me a week or so ago and it struck me as very perceptive on his part. I don’t like activities or hobbies that require a lot of gear, gear maintenance, or preparation. Maybe it is laziness or impatience. Maybe activities that bring out my “Type A” side stress me out. Case in point: I signed up for a cake decorating class with some friends about 2 years ago and was so excited about it. But even though I enjoyed the actual class, I ended up dropping out halfway through because of all of the prep work beforehand + transporting all of the different colors and consistencies of icing, the cake, and all of the tools to class. It was just too much.
Cycling feels the same way. You have to have special clothing (which is uncomfortable and unflattering on me!), a helmet, gloves, keep your bike tuned, know how to change a flat (which I don’t), and have a bike rack on your vehicle. Brent even has special cleat-like shoes for his clip-in pedals. You also usually have to go somewhere to ride, ride back to the spot, load it all back up, and then drive home. A total hassle. And I didn’t even get into the “fear factor” – I still feel very much out of control on the bike.
So, what a totally negative mentality to have the night before a ride! I don’t hate cycling! There are definitely positives, including:
- Scenery – there is no better way to see a town or area! This is how we explored Orange Beach last summer and loved it!
- Socializing – you can ride at a good pace and still be able to talk to the person next to you. Plus it is a great way to meet people from the community.
- Distance – you actually go somewhere. For example, with running/walking, only a very short distance can be covered routinely unless you are an ultrarunner or something crazy like that. Even 20 miles, which is a short, easy ride, or so I am told, sounds like a lot to a non-cyclist (such as myself).
- Sitting – like Brent’s dad says: “Does it really count as exercise if you are sitting the whole time?” Ha!
Just joking on that last one, but there are definitely things I like about cycling. I would/will never probably do it alone because I don’t want to deal with all of the accessories and gear, but as long as Brent is willing to help me with that, it’s not half bad!
Oh yes, these are what we wear under the jerseys. They are called bibs and are actually comfortable. I am told that women cyclists do not typically wear them, but I can’t stand the tight cycling shorts! These have no waistband, so no worries about them being too tight, too loose, etc. The diaper-like padding is annoying, but necessary.
I thought this brochure from the goodie bag was funny, considering what I have “fueled” with today:
- my famous oatmeal + granola + almond butter combo
- Hokkaido – hibachi chicken, rice, veggies – 1/2 of the meal for lunch and the other half for supper
- bit of Breyer’s ice cream
Nice.
These Clif Shot Bloks are good for exercising, but not so much to satisfy a major sugar binge craving. How would I know? I’ve tried. Yes, when you are on mile 8-10 of a half marathon, these babies taste like candy. Not so much when you are at home on the couch craving sugar and bust into your husband’s cycling stash in a moment of desperation. For the record, neither are those sport jellybeans. :( Cravings make you do strange and desperate things.
My new jersey that Brent bought me:
Not going to lie, when I saw this coupon in the goody bag, the tables began to turn. Oh. I didn’t know there was ice cream involved! This will probably get me through those long, slow miles at the end.
Here goes nothing!
No comments:
Post a Comment