Sunday, August 29, 2010

Weekending: Sunday Headwind

Well, today was a big day for me + cycling:

013

Allow me to introduce you to my first pair of cycling cleats.  I suppose now I am “official.”  We went out to Sander’s Ferry and Brent showed me how to clip in and out, get started and stop.  Not that hard!  I thought I would never be able to learn, and I was wrong!  I almost fell over right at the end but caught on to Brent and he helped me steady.  Clip-in pedals just make you more efficient on the bike.  I had been riding with tennis shoes + toe cages and this was not good because it made my quads work harder (and fatigue quicker) and it gave me foot cramps.  Today with the pedals + cleats it was unbelievable how much easier it was to pedal (=less work) and how much more balanced I felt on the bike. I was able to get down in the drops (the curve of the handlebar) & even stood up a little bit – something I have never been able to do with the toe cages.  I used to not even be able to reach down and get my water bottle while riding!  So I was very encouraged by the pedals + cleats today.

Unfortunately, it was a hard ride (and shouldn’t have been)! It was windy today!  It felt like we had a  headwind out + back.  My legs were also really tired from yesterday (boo!), so we just took it easy.  Not going to lie, it was a little discouraging because it was so hard today.  Maybe that’s because I also kept looking down at my shoes the whole time. Ha!

The scenery was beautiful, as usual!  It was not too hot, either.

015 019 025 026  028 029 034038 039 041043 044 045 048 054 055 057 058

Can I just say that it feels very good to do things that I don’t think I can do?  I have mentally discounted cycling for so long because I had this vague idea that I would never be able to get used to clip-in pedals and would never feel comfortable or balanced enough on the bike to stand up, draft, etc. I thought that I would never understand the gears or be able to make it up hills without wanting to die.  Basically, I gave up on cycling because I didn’t think I could do it.  And it was really hard when we started out at Oak Mountain (5 years ago?!?) and obviously I need much much more training.  But it is getting better, definitely!  I actually want to ride and I can’t believe that!

Three cheers for proving yourself wrong about yourself!

No comments: