Thursday, February 18, 2010

Brussel Sprouts + Broccoli

Today I have been craving roasted veggies.  I know that sounds weird and very unlike me.  Maybe my body is just crying out for some real food after Cadbury eggs and other various treats.

Of course, its not like I have a bunch of veggies waiting to be eaten.   So I just had to work with what I’ve got, which is broccoli and brussel sprouts. I actually googled “roasted broccoli” because I have never heard of anyone doing this, but apparently they do. I came upon this recipe and thought it sounded good.  Of course I didn’t have any lemon juice/zest, but that’s okay. I also had some frozen brussel sprouts, so I thawed them in the microwave, chopped them, and added them to the mix.

I preheated the oven to 425, put the broccoli + brussel sprouts in a bowl, and coated with 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil.  I know it sounds like a lot, but not as much as the recipe called for!  This is definitely more than 2 servings, though. I added some minced garlic (just sprinkled randomly), pepper, basil, oregano, and rosemary.  I put in the oven for about 15 – 20 minutes.  Look at how pretty it turned out!

009

014

015

I prepared a serving a couscous, added a large serving of veggies to my bowl, and sprinkled with parmesan cheese + 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil.  SO GOOD.  I cannot believe I waited so long before giving the brussel sprouts a try.  They are wonderful - cute and so chewy!

As far as veggies go, it is all about how you prepare them.  It is amazing what a little spice + oil or butter can do!

Today would be a nice day for a nap. :)

No comments: