Reading is my favorite pastime. I love books, magazines, blogs, pharmacy journals, websites, etc. etc. Basically anything. Although I do love fiction, lately I have just not been as interested in it. Like my grandfather, I am a schizophrenic reader – at any one time I will be in the middle of about 3-4 books. The bad thing about this is that it obviously takes longer to complete the books this way.
Here’s what is going on right now:
- So Long, Insecurity (Beth Moore) – While I’m not crazy about the title (it sounds like a self-help book), I love Beth Moore. I love the underlying message in all of her work. So far, so good on this book. I am about 3 chapters in and following along with the study on her website. It is deeper than I expected.
- Radical Womanhood (Carolyn McCulley) – This is a fascinating book! I ordered it from half.com and just got it yesterday and am already 100 pages in. I love the way she writes. The book is about feminism vs. God’s design and purpose for women. I find feminism’s historical roots interesting and am shocked at how it has completely changed our culture. I am also shocked at some of the beliefs/ideas from the early feminist leaders -- definitely some sinister aspects. It is surprising – even with my conservative upbringing – how radical the Biblical ideas of womanhood are to me in light of our culture.
- Food Rules and In Defense of Food (Michael Pollan) – This is the same guy from Food, Inc. I have heard lots of great reviews of his work and I liked The Omnivore’s Dilemma.
I finally finished the Experiencing God Bible study (which was great!) and am holding off on Beth Moore’s Daniel study for now. Since it is the Lenten season, I decided to study through this book I found last year at the thrift store – A Call to Die by David Nasser. It is a 40-day devotional that (from what I can tell so far) explores what it means to take up our cross and follow Christ. I am on day #2 and it is very good so far!
Hoping to get a lot of reading done today!
No comments:
Post a Comment