Saturday, February 27, 2010

Perfect Saturday

Today was a wonderful, beautiful, perfect Saturday.

013

Actually, it all started last night – we ordered pizza and watched Chocolat, a really, really good movie about a woman who opens up a chocolatier in a little French village during Lent.  Although it came out in 2000 and was nominated for 5 Oscars, we had never seen it before.  Netflix recommended it, probably because of my love for every movie Johnny Depp has ever made. Anyway, the movie made me want to open a quaint little chocolate shop.  Knowing me and my chocolate habit, my shop would not be financially viable and I would weigh 500 pounds.  I may just need to make a trip to Peterbrooke soon. 

Anyway, we went to bed really early for a weekend night – 9 pm – planning for a whole 9 hours of sleep.  We were so tired!

This morning Brent went cycling and I did two walk/jog miles down the sidewalk to the gas station.  My new favorite route!  And it was a beautiful day!

014

When Brent came back, we left for Birmingham.  We had planned this trip in order to go to Costco for the Vitamix demonstration + sale.  Oh yes we did.  Our stalking of the website has intensified over the past week and when some one told us about this weekend, we knew we had to go. We watched the demonstration for all of 10 minutes before we made the decision.  All it took was one sip of the tortilla soup to seal the deal!  Yay!  We are so excited!

056

As a side note, we loved Costco much better than Sam’s!  They had a much bigger food selection.  I found a huge jar of almond butter for ~ $6!!!  Brent got a value pack of Nutella, Mt. Olive pickles, vitamins, and ketchup.  All are necessities in the Freeman household, so we were glad to find such good prices.

After Costco………….

046

Our old favorite restaurant!  We started off with chips + cheese dip and salsa (the green salsa is the best):

044

And then, the meal….

047

Brent had the chicken quesadilla + soft taco and I had the Baja Fish Tacos. It came with mango salsa, Mexican rice, black beans, and tartar sauce.

048

The tacos were really, really good but definitely too much food!  I didn’t eat the rice, beans, or salad, but I did try a few of the mango chunks.  They tasted like summer!!!  Delicious!

There was definitely some Droid love at La Paz:

043

045

Next stop was Whole Foods, mostly just to look.  We found a few new items to try, including coconut butter and some chocolate oatmeal!  Whole Foods is dangerous….I’m very glad there is not one closer to us.

The final stop was Yogurt Mountain for “a taste” of dessert.  Yogurt Mountain is a self-serve frozen yogurt bar with over 50 toppings and  just happens to be the BEST IDEA EVER.

061

A “taste” of vanilla yogurt, Heath bar, Oreo, Reese, cheesecake bites, and caramel.  So good.  This really is dangerous, because we just got a Yogurt Mountain in Tuscaloosa – a mere 2 or so miles from the house!  Yikes!  Although it was such a beautiful day, it was really too cold for yogurt, so I burned Brent up with the car heater.

On the way home we admired the sunset:

057

065

068

Today was interesting because I honestly missed living in Birmingham for so long after we moved to Tuscaloosa.  And although there are definitely things I still miss (specifically the Lakeshore walking trail) I must admit that Tuscaloosa has really grown on me.  I was relieved to come back into town after dealing with the traffic + crowds in Birmingham.  I like being close enough to visit, but I’m just better suited to small-town life, I suppose.

Now that we are back home-sweet-home, we have settled in with the pugs and Nettle tea (recommended by You Are What You Eat), watching the Olympics and looking at Vitamix recipes.  Looking forward to lots of new and yummy cooking experiments!

050 058

No comments: